Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann
Back in the 16th century, our establishment was already the largest inn within the city walls of Graz.
In the Baroque era of the 18th century, it developed into a grandiose city palace with spacious apartments, state rooms, and a chapel. From that era came the magnificent wrought-iron metalwork of the inner courtyard, which has remained unchanged to this day.
In 1852 the building was initially leased by Ferdinand Sonnhammer, who then bought it in 1877, transforming the luxurious palais into a very exclusive, upscale hotel, which was also rechristened in honor of the widely beloved "Styrian prince", Archduke Johann.
Soon, Hotel Erzherzog Johann became the "premier house on the square", serving as a popular place to stay and gather for an array of interesting figures, mainly from the aristocracy and artistic circles.
Fritz Müller, a great uncle of the present owners of the hotel, acquired it from Ferdinand Sonnhammer's widow, and the hotel has now been in the possession of the same family for more than 100 years.
Substantial investments have contributed to the fact that the hotel leaves no wish unfulfilled with regard to comfort, yet without losing any of its historical charm.